Show Floor Plan Dimensions
Show building dimensions
- Overall size of building is dimensioned
- Size and location of every indentation and projection is dimensioned
- Location of every grid line is dimensioned: column lines, reference grid lines
- Size and location of every building appendage is dimensioned: balconies, decks, stairs
- Location of every exterior and interior wall is dimensioned
- Location of every exterior and interior opening is dimensioned: doors, windows, louvers
- Size and location of every built-in component is dimensioned: cabinets, countertops, vanities, shelving
- Overall size of each room is shown
- Dimensions are sufficient for contractor to locate and lay out all building features without additional information
Show stair dimensions
- All stairwell openings are dimensioned: width, length
- Number of stair treads for each stair are shown
- Total length of stair run for each stair is dimensioned
- All stair and landing widths are dimensioned
- Distance between each wall and handrail is dimensioned
- All handrail extension distances are dimensioned: from top tread to end of rail, from bottom tread to end of rail
- Dimensions are sufficient for contractor to locate and lay out all stair elements without additional information
Coordinate with office standards
- Every dimension or dimension string is taken from and to a logical control point: edge of slab, existing wall, column grid line
- Point where every dimension is taken from is identified by notes, abbreviations or symbols: face of stud, face of concrete, face of finish, centerline room, centerline wall, centerline column
- Dimension strings are closed or open in conformance with office standard
- Every dimension note, abbreviation, and symbol conforms to office standard
Coordinate with other drawings
- Exterior dimension strings agree with overall building dimensions
- Interior dimension strings agree with overall room dimensions
- Ground floor dimensions agree with foundation plan dimensions
- Overall building dimensions agree with site plan dimensions
- Every dimension symbol and abbreviation agrees with legend
- This is an incremental task. It's usually started in DD phase and completed in CD phase.
- Legend refers to list of symbols and abbreviations, usually on cover sheet.
Search For More Information
Click here for a version of this page that's more suitable for printing. After printing, click the back-arrow of your browser to return to the original format with an index alongside.
Comments or suggestions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, see contact us.
- Original post: January 22, 2004, written by Dennis V. O'Neill.
- Last revision: April 21, 2004.
Copyright 2004 - 2007 Dennis V. O'Neill